Consider applying for Mount Vernon's Summer Teacher Institute
The George Washington Summer Residential Teachers’ Institute is a highly competitive program which brings teachers to Mount Vernon, Virginia for an intensive week of study at Washington’s home. Participating teachers immerse themselves in the study and discussion of this critical period of American history and the remarkable role George Washington played in the founding of our nation.
Teachers will have the opportunity to:
- Examine the character and accomplishments of George Washington while living on his 18th Century estate
- Engage in active discussion of 18th Century history with top historians
- Explore Mount Vernon through interactive workshops, tours, and group projects
- Connect to Common Core and discuss how to integrate teaching history into English and STEM curricula in accordance with current education standards
- Return to your classroom with new knowledge, teaching materials and enthusiasm to share with your students and colleagues
In 2014, Mount Vernon will host sessions by state to build the foundation for statewide collegial networks of teachers who can share classroom ideas, lesson plans, and resources.
June 8-13: Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia
June 22-27: Nevada, Oregon, Ohio, California
July 13-18: Maryland, Florida, North Carolina
July 27-Aug 1: Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York
To learn more, or to apply, visit http://www.mountvernon.org/teacherinstitute.