The American Revolution
Selected & Introduced by Robert M. S. McDonaldPre-Order Thru July 4 and Receive a Discount and BONUS Teaching Resources!
About the Book
This volume of primary documents on the causes and conduct of the American Revolution presents the history of the American political order during its formative period. No one can read these documents today without sensing the overwhelming significance of the issues at stake: from these pages, the reader can come to understand and appreciate not only the emergence of the United States as an independent nation but also something about the challenges of forming a political order on the propositions of equality and liberty—challenges as relevant to modern Americans as they were to our forefathers.
What you’ll find inside:
- A variety of voices and viewpoints that capture the vibrant debates and diversity of opinions of Americans—united in their commitment to equality and liberty, yet so often divided by their different understandings of these most fundamental American ideas.
- A brief introduction to each document, providing key historical background to help students immediately grasp its place in the unfolding narrative of American history.
- A thematic table of contents grouping documents into sub-themes inside of the collection topic.
- Two discussion questions for each document in the collection: one that focuses on a close reading of it as a single text, and one that draws it into conversation with other sources.
- First-hand accounts of the Boston Massacre, the Boston Tea Party, Lexington and Concord, Valley Forge, Yorktown… and more!
- Patrick Henry’s “Give me liberty or give me death!” speech, 1775
- A Resolution Regarding Quaker Pacifists, 1775
- Thomas Jefferson, Draft of the Declaration of Independence, 1776
- John Laurens’ plan for an African American Regiment, 1778
- George Washington’s Circular Letter to the States and his “Cincinnatus Reborn” speech, 1783
Pre-Order The American Revolution by July 4 to receive:
20% off the retail price
a limited edition set of digital slides with images, maps, and discussion questions to engage your students!