Coming Summer 2017: American History Toolkits
Beginning in early August, TAH.org will add a series of American History Toolkits, which are topically-focused collections, each made up of resources from around the site, and organized to provide for easy access to a variety of materials for teachers. Our initial collection is made up of the following topics, which address some of the major eras and issues in American history and government.
- The American Founding – trace the development of the American Idea of government from the years leading up to the Revolution through George Washington’s terms as president
- Expansion & Sectionalism– the country grew swiftly during the first half of the 19th Century, and with that growth came opportunities, challenges, and eventually problems that drove the country to turn on itself.
- Civil War & Reconstruction – 1861-1877, some of the most pivotal in America’s history, as faction tried to tear the country apart, and attempts to build a new sociopolitical order after military victory yielded mixed results.
- The Progressive Era– more dramatic change, economic and social, motivated Americans to seek equally dramatic political changes, in search of solutions to problems not only new to Americans, but novel in world history.
- The Great Depression and World War 2– another pair of potentially existential challenges to America and its system of government, addressed and resolved by American means.
- Civil Rights– MLK and others sought to cash the check written by the Founders, and their work changed the political, economic, legal, and social status of millions of American minorities, all the while bringing America closer to the ideals of the Declaration of Independence.
Each Toolkit will include: