Our Documents in Detail webinar for 17 March 2021 focused on Abraham Lincoln’s Final Emancipation Proclamation. Released on 1 January 1863, it legally freed all slaves in states and areas still in rebellion, and paved the way for permanent abolition of the institution of slavery.
Suggested Additional Readings:
- Abraham Lincoln: A Constitutional Biography, George Anastaplo
- “Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation: A Model of Prudent Leadership.”by Joseph Fornieri, In Tempered Strength: Studies in the Nature and Scope of Prudential Leadership, ed. Ethan Fishman
- Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, Allen Guelzo
- Battle Cry of Freedom, James McPherson
- For Cause and Comrades: Why Men Fought in the Civil War, James McPherson
- Freedom National: The Destruction of Slavery in the United States, 1861-1865, James Oakes