Saturday Webinar: Did Slavery Cause the Civil War?
Join teachers from across the country on Saturday, 3 October 2020 for our discussion of the true causes of the Civil War – was it really all about slavery, or something else? Our scholars will discuss this issue based in part on a selection of original sources. All participants will be provided with a printable certificate for two hours of continuing education from this free program. The session will run from 11am-12:15am EDT.
- Fort Hill Address, John C. Calhoun, 26 July 1831
- The Constitution of the United States: Is it Pro-Slavery or Anti-Slavery?, Frederick Douglass, 26 MAR 1860
- South Carolina’s Declaration of the Causes of Secession, 24 DEC 1860
- Mississippi Declaration of Secession, 9 JAN 1861
- First Inaugural Address, Abraham Lincoln, 4 MAR 1861
- “Cornerstone” Speech, Alexander Stephens, 12 MAR 1861
- Second Inaugural Address, Abraham Lincoln, 4 MAR 1865
- Dr. Chris Burkett, Ashland University
- Dr. Jason Stevens, Ashland University
- Dr. Andrew Lang, Mississippi State University