Saturday Webinar: Was the American Revolution Really a Revolution?
Our first Saturday Webinar for the 20-21 school year, and also the first in our Fall series, Enduring American Questions. In this 75-minute episode, we will explore the question of whether the American Revolution, or perhaps ‘The War for American Independence,” was a revolution. What were its roots and how do they compare to those of other revolutions of the era, and since? What did Americans of the time seek to accomplish, and why? This episode will delve into political and historical topics, making it relevant for American History, World History, and American Government/Civics teachers, as well as Comparative Government teachers.
The episode aired live on Saturday, 22 August, from 11am-12:15pm EDT.
- Draft of the Declaration of Independence, 2 July 1776
- “Liberty Further Extended: Or Free Thoughts on the Illegality of Slave-keeping,” Lemuel Haynes, 1776
- Letter to Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, 24 AUG 1815
- Letter to Roger Weightman, Thomas Jefferson, 24 June 1826
- Dr. Chris Burkett, Ashland University
- Dr. Todd Estes, Oakland University
- Dr. Rob McDonald, United States Military Academy at West Point