Documents in Detail is TAH.org’s second webinar series, offering a close read and in-depth discussion of a single document in each episode. Scholars will discuss the ideas, historical context, purpose, speaker, audience, and use of language in each document, in order to help teachers gain a deeper understanding of one core document from American History.
Each 60-minute episode will consist of a collegial discussion between scholars, with questions taken from a live, online teacher audience. All sessions will be recorded and made available as archives via our YouTube channel, Sticher, podcast RSS feed and iTunes Podcast. Episodes will air live at 7pm EST, typically on the third Wednesday of each month. All teachers who take part in a live episode will be emailed a downloadable certificate for two hours of continuing education hours and, as always, TAH.org’s webinars are free to all.
2020-21 Season: Selections from the 50 Core American Documents
Documents in Detail will continue during the 2020-21 school year with ten more 60-minute episodes take place typically on the third Wednesday of each month, at 7pm EST. Each episode will focus on one document, drawn from our collection of 50 Core American Documents. Spanning American history from 1776 to 1964, each episode is a deep-dive into a single document, exploring its historical context, ideas, language, and impact on politics, law, and culture.
Individual episode information, including documents links, will be published one month before the episode air date.
- Brutus 2 – 19 AUG 20
- James Madison’s Speech on the Proposed Amendments to the Constitution – 23 SEP 20
- “Property,” James Madison – 21 OCT 20
- Thomas Jefferson’s Letters to John Holmes and Henry Lee – 17 NOV 20
- Fort Hill Address, John C. Calhoun – 16 DEC 20
- Veto Message of the Bill on the Bank of the United States, Andrew Jackson – 20 JAN 21
- “Cornerstone” Speech, Alexander Stephens – 17 FEB 21 – Register Here
- Final Emancipation Proclamation, Abraham Lincoln – 17 MAR 21 – Register Here
- Resolution Submitting the Thirteenth Amendment to the States, Abraham Lincoln – 21 APR 21 – Register Here
- Oration in Memory of Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass – 12 May 21 – Register Here