Documents in Detail is TAH.org’s second webinar series, offering a close read and in-depth discussion of a single document in each episode. Scholars will discuss the ideas, historical context, purpose, speaker, audience, and use of language in each document, in order to help teachers gain a deeper understanding of one core document from American History.
Each 60-minute episode will consist of a collegial discussion between scholars, with questions taken from a live, online teacher audience. All sessions will be recorded and made available as archives via our YouTube channel, Sticher, podcast RSS feed and iTunes Podcast. Episodes will air live at 7pm EST, typically on the third Wednesday of each month. All teachers who take part in a live episode will be emailed a downloadable certificate for two hours of continuing education hours and, as always, TAH.org’s webinars are free to all.
2019-20 Season: Selections from the 50 Core American Documents
Documents in Detail will continue during the 2019-20 school year with ten more 60-minute episodes take place typically on the third Wednesday of each month, at 7pm EST. Each episode will focus on one document, drawn from our collection of 50 Core American Documents. Spanning American history from 1776 to 1964, each episode is a deep-dive into a single document, exploring its historical context, ideas, language, and impact on politics, law, and culture.
Individual episode information, including documents links, will be published one month before the episode air date.
- Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom, 28 AUG 19
- Federalist 1, 25 SEP 19
- Thomas Jefferson’s First Inaugural Address, 23 OCT 19
- The Webster-Hayne Debates, 20 NOV 19
- John C. Calhoun’s Speech on the Oregon Bill, 18 DEC 19
- Abraham Lincoln’s Fragment on the Constitution and Union, 22 JAN 20
- Plessy v. Ferguson, 19 FEB 20
- 1912 Progressive Party Platform, 25 MAR 20
- Speech on the 150th Anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, 22 APR 20
- Herbert Hoover’s Speech on the New Deal, 13 May 20
Readings will be posted one month before each show date, and will be accessible through live links (to be posted) above